Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Back To School Parent and Child Relationship Issues

School will be starting for most families soon. What is on your mind as you prepare for your children to return to school?

I am struck by how difficult certain transitions are: First Grade, Middle School Years, 9th Grade--first year of HS, Senior year of HS and of course the "empty nest" emotions and turmoil of the first year of college.

My heart goes out to all parents as school is about to start.  Where are you in this challenging process?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That "empty nest" thing is really hard, or at least it was for me. I started grieving my first child's going off to college during his senior year. Letting my self grieve without shame and talking about it with friends was the most help. It is one of those necessary losses so it was important for me to let myself go through the grieving process to accetance.

Unknown said...

It sounds like a wise parent left this comment. Understanding that the "empty nest" feelings are a necessary loss and allowing themselves the freedom to grieve demonstrates great maturity and balance.

I would love to hear from other parents and find out how your feelings have changed or not changed over time.