Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Transitions For College Age Children

Transitions are a challenge to us all.

 I will never forget how surprisingly empty our home seemed after our oldest (Tom) went away to college.  

Our second son (Paul) came home to live for a while after college and I treasured every moment--I knew it was just a matter of time before he left, and now he's been gone from home for years and is getting married.

This time was hard on me but I think it was much harder on my wife.  Mothers' seem to take this transition, with its subsequent "empty nest," very hard.

  • How are you coping with the changes that are occurring?
  • What do you need help with?
  • Who do you turn to for help?
Professional help can make this challenging transition smoother for both mom and dad.

2 comments:

www.tulsafamilycounseling.com said...

I found myself doing the typical thing of planning away before each son left home, and then taking on new tasks after they left, hanging on every word when I got my Sunday phone call. That was my one requirement. One call a week and I could hold on to the belief I was launching my boys. Those Sundays they didn't and don't call are still the hardest for me-and it has been seven years. I can let go as long as we stay connected!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful, heartfelt post.

The antidote to the "empty nest" feelings is to remain connected. Even if it is at a minimal level.

Often times it takes consistent reaching out by the parent/parents--whether it is reciprocated or not.